Suggested Resume Content for Mental & Behavioral Health Applicants
As a mental & behavioral health (MBH) job applicant, the thought of writing a resume can be quite daunting! For many it’s difficult to know where to start and to what to include. As a MBH professional there are often additional responsibilities, certifications and skills relevant to getting hired that are not addressed on typical resume blogs. Below you will find a comprehensive list of questions to help you come up with relevant content to include on your resume.
Information to Include on Mental & Behavioral Health Resumes
- Be sure to have current contact information including the best phone number(s) to reach you and your email address. It is important to double check that this information is correct.
- Consider adding to your cover letter or introduction email the best time and method to reach you for the best response.
- In reverse chronological order list your full work history including: company, dates of employment (month/year) and job title.
- Under each work experience include a description. The description usually is in bullet form and highlights your accomplishments in that role.
- If using bullets it is best to start with an ‘action verb’ (such as implemented, utilized, managed, supervised, etc.) rather than writing ‘responsible for’.
- Not sure what to include? See our list of questions below and remember to think about the job you are looking to land – which skills are transferable and most relevant.
- When listing an accomplishment be sure to include metrics if you can.
- Including relevant skills you have acquired is even more important today as computer software often reads resumes to look for various ‘keywords’ aka skills.
- It is important to mention your skill but do not only use abbreviations, write out the abbreviation at least once on the resume.
- In the mental health field it is important to share personal character traits and work style; this can be included at the bottom of the resume.
Don’t forget to review our Job Listings page to see our active roles.